More stories

  • in

    Trump promises immigration crackdown, deregulation in Washington rally

    Trump reiterated several of his campaign promises, most notably his harsh rhetoric on illegal immigration, as marked a victory lap rally ahead of his inauguration on Monday. It was also Trump’s first major address in Washington since 2021. “We will expel every single illegal alien, gang member and migrant criminal operating on American soil,” Trump said, speaking at the “Make America Great Again Victory Rally” at the Capital One (NYSE:COF) Arena. He vowed to withdraw all executive orders issued by President Joe Biden, and said he was preparing for a landmark first day in office. Fox News Digital reported Trump plans to sign over 200 executive orders when he takes office on Monday. Trump also vowed to lessen regulations on the American energy industry, reiterating his plans to reduce government oversight. He also flagged plans to cut government spending in an effort led by Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswamy, under the Department of Government Efficiency. Missing from Trump’s remarks were his plans to impose trade tariffs, particularly on China. The President-elect had maintained a harsh rhetoric against China during his campaigning efforts, and had vowed to impose an up to 60% import tariff on all goods from China. Trump’s plans for tariffs have been a major point of concern, amid fears that they could underpin inflation and keep interest rates high in the long term. But Trump on Sunday vowed to bring down inflation and cut taxes. Despite his hawkish stance against China, Trump had earlier on Sunday vowed to delay a ban on popular social media app TikTok with an executive order on day one of his presidency. TikTok began restoring some of its services in the U.S. after Trump’s comments, with the President-elect calling for a joint venture with TikTok owner Bytedance to keep the app in the U.S.Sunday’s rally was marked by appearances and performances by several celebrities, including popular actor Sylvester Stallone and musician Kid Rock. Tesla’s Musk also made an appearance at the rally.  More

  • in

    Morning Bid: Inauguration caution cools risk-on revival

    (Reuters) – A look at the day ahead in Asian markets. Signs of life being breathed back into China’s economy and a strong rally on Wall Street on Friday bode well for Asian markets on Monday, although nervousness around President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration could temper the optimism.U.S. markets will be closed for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so global liquidity will be lighter than usual, and U.S. debt ceiling jitters are back in sharp focus. Further reason, perhaps, for investors in Asia to tread lightly.Investors have broadly welcomed the ‘market-friendly’ parts of Trump’s expected agenda like tax cuts and deregulation. But other parts, like tariffs and mass deportations, could rekindle inflation and slow the pace of Fed rate cuts.Furthermore, higher-for-longer rates could damage growth and stoke ‘stagflation’ concerns, making the Fed’s job even more difficult. His inauguration speech could be laden with market-moving policy pledges, directives and executive orders.In that context, the saga surrounding TikTok is being closely watched for clues on Trump’s policymaking and approach to China. His latest position is he will revive the China-owned social media app’s access in the U.S. by executive order after he is sworn in, but wants it to be at least half owned by U.S. investors.Back in the markets, the dollar and Treasury yields eased off Monday’s historic highs and ended last week lower, providing a welcome easing of financial conditions for Asian and emerging markets.The 10-year yield clocked a 16-month high of 4.80% but fell 17 basis points on the week and the dollar index hit a 27-month high to register only its second weekly loss in 16 weeks.The catalyst seems to have been relatively tame U.S. inflation data and dovish remarks from Fed Governor Christopher Waller, who floated the idea of three or four quarter-point rate cuts this year.The S&P 500 rose 3% last week – its best week in 10 – the Nasdaq climbed 2.4% and the MSCI World rose 1.7%. Asian stocks underperformed though – the MSCI Asia ex-Japan index rose 0.8%, Chinese stocks edged up only 0.3%, while Japan’s Nikkei 225 fell. China’s ‘data dump’ last week was more encouraging than analysts had expected. Overall growth in the fourth quarter was 5.4%, meaning Beijing met its annual GDP growth goal of around 5%.The People’s Bank of China sets interest rates on Monday. It is expected to ease policy slowly and cautiously in the first quarter of this year, but not necessarily starting on Monday. Investors in Japan, meanwhile, are gearing up for a possible rate hike from the Bank of Japan on Friday. The latest signals from BOJ officials are pointing firmly in that direction, and markets have reacted accordingly – the yen has rallied, and Japanese stocks have fallen.Here are key developments that could provide more direction to markets on Monday:- China interest rate decision- Japan machinery orders (November)- Malaysia trade (December) More

  • in

    Melania Trump’s memecoin launchs, impacting $TRUMP’s value

    Melania Trump’s memecoin, named $MELANIA, was also shared on Donald Trump’s Truth account. Despite the mid-day loss, $TRUMP is still up 7000% since its launch on Friday. This increase has brought significant paper wealth to the incoming President, amounting to billions.The market capitalization of $TRUMP is approximately $33 billion. The impact of Melania Trump’s memecoin on the value of $TRUMP will continue to be monitored.This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C. More

  • in

    Trump’s second act creates several firsts

    $99 for your first yearFT newspaper delivered Monday-Saturday, plus FT Digital Edition delivered to your device Monday-Saturday.What’s included Weekday Print EditionFT WeekendFT Digital EditionGlobal news & analysisExpert opinionSpecial featuresExclusive FT analysis More

  • in

    Explainer-What will happen to TikTok when it goes dark?

    (Reuters) -TikTok stopped working for 170 million Americans late on Saturday after the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against TikTok’s bid to avoid a ban that could shut the app down. The ban is the end result of 2024 legislation passed on national security concerns that called for TikTok parent ByteDance to sell the popular short-video app or see it shut in the United States on Jan. 19.It remained unclear how long the ban would stay in place as President-elect Donald Trump, who takes office on Monday, has said he would try to find a “political resolution” of the issue to keep the app operating in the United States. On Sunday, Trump said on Truth Social: “SAVE TIKTOK!” Here is what is happening now.WHAT HAPPENS TO THE APP?New users will not be able to download TikTok from Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) app stores and existing users will not be able to update the app, because the law prohibits any entity from facilitating the download or maintenance of the TikTok application.It was not immediately clear if TikTok’s business partners, including Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), which provides TikTok’s cloud infrastructure services and stores its U.S. user data, has suspended services. TikTok plans to keep paying its 7,000 employees in the U.S., the company’s leadership has said in an internal memo. HOW WILL USERS BE AFFECTED?TikTok’s 170 million users in the U.S. are unable to use the app even if they did not delete it from their phones.As of Sunday, U.S. users hoping to access TikTok through virtual private networks, or VPNs, which can conceal the internet protocol, or IP, address of a user and thereby their location, were unsuccessful.Other Chinese social media apps such as RedNote, known in China as Xiaohongshu, are expected to continue gaining traction among U.S. users. Content creators who have built businesses from their TikTok followings have urged their followers to find them on alternatives such as Instagram and YouTube. WHAT WILL ADVERTISERS DO?Advertisers have rushed to prepare contingency plans ahead of the ban, fearing a shutdown will jeopardize their campaigns on the platforms. One marketing executive described it as a “hair on fire” moment for the ad world, after months of conventional wisdom saying that a solution would materialize to keep the short-video app up and running.TikTok has continued to pitch advertisers on new features, like a tool launching in test form that would make it easier to create, modify and add advertisements in bulk.The ban puts more than $11 billion in annual U.S. ad investment up for grabs, according to a forecast from marketing group WARC Media.”Wall Street will be watching the results of Meta (NASDAQ:META), Snap, and others to see who benefits from this rapid spend shift,” said Craig Atkinson, CEO of digital marketing agency Code3.WHAT HAPPENS TO U.S.-CHINA TRADE RELATIONS?A TikTok ban could worsen trade tensions between the U.S. and China that were already strained after export curbs on advanced American semiconductor technology to Beijing.  However, “such a ban would be no surprise as it has been under discussion for five years,” said Sean Ennis (NYSE:EBF), professor from the University of East Anglia.Trump could try to use an executive action to protect TikTok for his four years in office, but he could use the risk of him changing his position to extract something meaningful from China, analysts at LightShed Partners have said.Reversing the ban could give Trump some bargaining power with China, analysts say.WHO ARE THE POTENTIAL BUYERS?TikTok has repeatedly said it cannot be sold from ByteDance.That hasn’t deterred billionaire businessman Frank McCourt, a former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team. His consortium values the app without its algorithm at around $20 billion.Other media have reported that Chinese officials are in talks about potentially selling TikTok’s U.S. operations to billionaire Elon Musk, a big financial backer of Trump. TikTok called those reports “fiction”.Hours before the ban went into effect on Saturday, U.S. search engine startup Perplexity AI submitted a bid to merge with TikTok’s U.S. operations, according to a source familiar with the matter.  More

  • in

    Donald Trump’s $TRUMP memecoin surges to $14.5bn market cap ahead of inauguration

    “My NEW Official Trump Meme is HERE! It’s time to celebrate everything we stand for: WINNING!” Trump wrote in a post on his social media platform Truth Social.The move comes ahead of Trump’s inauguration on Monday, which is widely expected to usher in a new era of digital asset adoption.Trump, who previously called Bitcoin “a scam”, has pledged that America would be “the crypto capital of the planet” once he returned office.$TRUMP was trading just above $71 as of 07:40am ET (12:40 GMT), reaching a market cap of $14.2 billion, according to CoinMarketCap.Major crypto exchanges including Coinbase (NASDAQ:COIN) and Binance have said they plan to list the memecoin token.Some 200m of the digital tokens have been issued and another 800m will be released in the next three years, the coin’s website said. More

  • in

    With cocktails and Snoop Dogg, crypto industry celebrates Trump inauguration

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Cryptocurrency executives swilled cocktails and danced to rap superstar Snoop Dogg on Friday night as they celebrated the approaching inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump, whose administration has promised major changes in crypto policy. After years of butting heads with Washington policymakers, executives from crypto companies including Crypto.com, Kraken, and Exodus partied at the first-ever crypto inauguration ball held at the 90-year-old Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium beneath towering 62-foot (19-metre) columns. Clad in black tie and ball gowns, guests noshed on miniature lobster rolls and Trump’s favored McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) burgers and fries, according to social media posts and two attendees who spoke to Reuters. In addition to Snoop Dogg, the entertainment lineup featured rappers Rick Ross and Soulja Boy, the attendees said.One of many Washington celebrations ahead of Trump’s Monday swearing-in, the crypto gala marks a stunning turnaround for an industry that has been in the Biden administration’s crosshairs. Two years ago, it looked to be on the brink of extinction amid the collapse of FTX.Trump, who did not attend the gala, courted crypto campaign cash with promises to be a “crypto president,” and is expected next week to issue executive orders aimed at reducing crypto regulatory roadblocks and promoting widespread adoption of digital assets. “There were a lot of dark years,” said Les Borsai, co-founder of the crypto investment adviser Wave Digital Assets, who flew in from Los Angeles. “If this signifies what the future looks like … I think that’s the optimism we’ve been waiting for.” Swag included “Make Bitcoin Great Again” red baseball caps, and American flag pins with the symbol for Gemini, an event sponsor and crypto exchange founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who backed Trump’s campaign. SOLD OUTTickets sold out at $2,500 each for general admission, the ball’s website said, but for a cool $100,000, VIP packages provided face time with tech entrepreneur David Sacks, Trump’s incoming crypto czar and the gala’s emcee, according to attendees and crypto media outlets.  About 1,500 people attended.Several other officials from Trump’s incoming administration were also present, the attendees said. Other sponsors included the digital asset division of Robinhood (NASDAQ:HOOD), MicroStrategy and Crypto.com, according to the event website. Sponsors had cocktails named in their honor.”Last night was truly a testament to how mainstream crypto has become,” said JP Richardson, CEO of Exodus, which co-hosted the ball.While the industry was reveling, Trump on Friday night expanded his cryptocurrency interests, which already include World Liberty Financial, by launching a digital token branded with an image from his attempted assassination in July. The price of that “meme coin” was around $27 by Saturday afternoon, giving it a market capitalization of about $5.5 billion, according to CoinMarketCap. Worried about fraud and money laundering, President Joe Biden’s regulators cracked down on crypto companies, suing exchanges Coinbase (NASDAQ:COIN), Binance, Kraken and dozens more in federal court. Trump’s crypto policy team is taking shape, with his crypto-friendly Securities and Exchange Commission chair pick Paul Atkins expected to forge major crypto policy changes. “The crypto voter showed up in the election and this event signifies a turning point for crypto policy in the United States,” Jonathan Jachym, global head of policy at Kraken, said in a statement. Bitcoin, the world’s largest cryptocurrency, hit new records above $107,000 in December on excitement over Trump’s policy changes.”We are proud to support the Crypto Ball (NYSE:BALL) … and look forward to supporting the new administration to advance innovation in digital assets,” said a spokesperson for Crypto.com, adding the company’s president of North America, Matt David, attended. Representatives for the Trump administration, Robinhood, MicroStrategy, Gemini and the event’s other two hosts, BTC Inc. and Stand With Crypto, did not immediately comment. Sacks did not immediately return an emailed request for comment. Representatives for Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross and Soulja Boy could not immediately be reached on Saturday.  More

  • in

    Biden to sign order to prioritize distressed ‘left-behind communities’

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Outgoing U.S. President Joe Biden will sign an executive order on Sunday aimed at prioritizing government resources to help economically distressed American communities – a day before he leaves the White House.Biden’s order is targeting so-called “Left-Behind Communities” and aims to help incoming President Donald Trump, who will oversee significant spending on infrastructure, semiconductors, energy, broadband internet and other programs approved during Biden’s presidency.By one estimate, 15% percent of the U.S. population — or around 50 million Americans — live in a distressed zip code, which is measured by poverty, unemployment, education, abandoned homes, median income and declines in jobs and businesses. The White House touted a number of programs funded over the last four years including $54 billion in investments to Energy Communities — coal, oil and gas, and power plant areas — as well as $210 million announced last week for six new tech hubs, $525 million for job training in distressed areas and billions in infrastructure for distressed regions.Biden’s order prioritizes left-behind communities for economic development funding including those “facing economic distress, undergoing industrial transitions, emerging as innovation hubs, and rebuilding from natural disasters.” “It’s not splashy. It’s just fulfilling his determination to help left-behind communities, particularly in the heartland, make comebacks,” said White House economic adviser Lael Brainard in an interview.The Commerce Department under Biden has awarded $700 million for “tech hubs” seeking to spread benefits of tech sector growth beyond traditional hubs from California’s Silicon Valley to Boston and made other major investments.Biden said in a statement his administration “made historic investments to help left-behind communities, such as distressed areas, factory towns, and coal communities, turn setbacks into comebacks.”His order directs a “whole-of-government coordination of federal investments in left-behind communities and creates a “No Wrong Door” to help distressed areas identify resources across the federal government.It also tells federal employees in areas that recently suffered natural disasters to identify funding opportunities to address long-term economic development and infrastructure needs.”This locks down the things that we learned about how to do this work well and what gives these communities the best chance of success,” Brainard said.Trump in 2018 signed his own executive order that created a White House Opportunity (SO:FTCE11B) and Revitalization Council to address concerns about distressed communities saying “despite the growing national economy, these communities are plagued by high poverty levels, failing schools, and a scarcity of jobs.”The Republican president has vowed to cut regulations and hike tariffs during his second term as part of a plan to boost the U.S economy. More