More stories

  • in

    The real threat to American prosperity

    $99 for your first yearFT newspaper delivered Monday-Saturday, plus FT Digital Edition delivered to your device Monday-Saturday.What’s included Weekday Print EditionFT WeekendFT Digital EditionGlobal news & analysisExpert opinionSpecial featuresExclusive FT analysis More

  • in

    Trump Says He Will Announce Reciprocal Tariffs Next Week

    President Trump indicated he was ready to broaden his trade war on Friday, saying that he would announce reciprocal tariffs on other countries next week.Such a measure would raise the levies the United States charges on imports to match what other countries charge on American products, a move that could trigger new trade fights.Speaking to reporters before a meeting with Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba of Japan at the White House, Mr. Trump said that the tariffs would restore fairness to trading relationships and eliminate U.S. trade deficits.Making trade more reciprocal, Mr. Trump said, would ensure “that we’re treated evenly with other countries; we don’t want any more, any less,” he added.It’s the latest indication that Mr. Trump is willing to use tariffs broadly and unsparingly. He has already imposed an additional 10 percent tariff on all products from China, in addition to the levies on hundreds of billions of dollars of goods in his first term.Over the past week, the president came within hours of imposing sweeping tariffs on Canada and Mexico, America’s largest trading partners, saying those countries were sending drugs and migrants to the United States. He ultimately paused those measures for 30 days after the countries offered him some concessions.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Trump says Nippon Steel has dropped plan to buy US Steel

    Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for freeYour guide to what the 2024 US election means for Washington and the worldDonald Trump announced Nippon Steel had abandoned its plan to buy US Steel but would “invest heavily” in the iconic Pittsburgh producer.At a joint press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba on Friday, the president said the prospect of an investment in US Steel was “very exciting”, adding he would meet Nippon officials next week.“They’ll work out the details . . . I’ll be there to mediate and arbitrate,” he said.Earlier on Friday, Trump said he had not changed his mind about opposing Nippon’s $15bn acquisition of US Steel. The companies last month sued the US after Joe Biden’s administration in January blocked the proposed deal.One person familiar with the situation said details of the investment had not been finalised. The White House did not reply to a request for more information about what the two leaders had agreed. Nippon also declined to comment. The United Steelworkers union, which was the biggest opponent to the proposed acquisition, said it remained concerned about Nippon Steel.“Our union has had no contact with either company or the administration regarding reports of a Nippon investment in US Steel,” said David McCall, the union’s president.McCall added: “Our concerns regarding Nippon’s continued interest in US Steel remain unchanged. Nippon has proven itself to be a serial trade cheater with a history of dumping its products into our markets.”Two people close to the situation said that while a full takeover was off the table, negotiations would likely proceed towards a deal that shared “very similar” elements with the original proposed acquisition, and that US Steel would keep its name.They added it was unclear whether that would absolve Nippon from the $565mn break fee it was due to pay if the deal failed to go through.Earlier on Friday, Trump said he would consider hitting Japanese exports with tariffs if the US trade deficit with the Asian country was not eliminated and he pledged to unveil “reciprocal” tariffs on other nations next week.Speaking in the Oval Office before the meeting with Ishiba, Trump said tariffs were an option to tackle the US trade deficit with Japan, the most important American ally in the Indo-Pacific. In 2024, the US deficit in goods with the country was $68bn, compared with $55bn in 2020 before the end of his first term.Trump said Washington and Tokyo would work together to cut the trade deficit, saying “they want fairness also”. Asked about the threat of tariffs, the president said: “We didn’t discuss tariffs too much.”Ishiba said he was “unable to respond to a theoretical question” when asked whether Tokyo would retaliate.Show video infoTrump also said Japan would buy more US liquefied natural gas. Prompted by the US president, Ishiba agreed the Biden administration had made it harder for Japan to buy more American LNG. He said it was “wonderful” that more sales were being allowed. On his first day in office, Trump signed an executive order to boost oil and gas production in Alaska, lifting Biden-era restrictions on drilling and prioritising the development of the state’s LNG sector, including granting permission for a pipeline and export terminal. Japan, the world’s second-largest gas consumer after China, is among the biggest importers of American LNG, which is mostly sold under long-term contracts with foreign utilities. The US government does not have a role in LNG sales. However, export capacity in the US, the largest in the world, is expected to nearly double from 2024 levels by 2028 as more terminals come online.Ishiba said: “We also want to improve the trade deficit that the US has towards Japan, so if we are able to buy those [LNG] at a stable and reasonable price, it would be a wonderful situation.” Beyond Japan, Trump said he would next week unveil “reciprocal tariffs” on unnamed countries, hinting at the universal levies he has vowed to impose on imports into the US. The comments about new tariffs marked another escalation in Trump’s rhetoric, and brought the US closer to the brink of a multi-front trade war with some of its closest trading partners and security allies.“I’ll be announcing that next week, reciprocal trade, so that we’re treated evenly with other countries,” Trump said. During the presidential campaign last year, he repeatedly warned he would impose a universal tariff on imports into the US. Earlier this week, Trump suspended until March 1 his plan to impose steep tariffs on Mexico and Canada, the US’s two largest trading partners, but proceeded with a 10 per cent levy on imports from China. Beijing responded with retaliatory tariffs that will take effect this weekend. More

  • in

    U.S. Hiring Slowed to 143,000 Jobs in January

    U.S. employers added 143,000 jobs last month, somewhat fewer than forecast, while unemployment fell to 4 percent and hourly earnings rose.Can a labor market be hot and cool at the same time? That’s the picture painted by the latest federal hiring figures, which show a step down in job creation last month — as well as a drop in joblessness.Employers added 143,000 jobs in January, slightly fewer than expected, the Labor Department reported on Friday. But with large upward revisions to the prior two months and a decline in the unemployment rate to 4 percent, American workers still appear to be in good shape.“We have robust fundamentals, and relatively moderate hiring, but it’s very judicious,” said Gregory Daco, the chief U.S. economist with the accounting firm EY-Parthenon. “The unemployment rate is historically low, but frozen in the sense that you’re not seeing much churn — businesses are being cautious as to how they manage their work force.” More

  • in

    Managing uncertainty in the Trump age

    ¥77000 for your first yearFT newspaper delivered Monday-Saturday, plus FT Digital Edition delivered to your device Monday-Saturday.What’s included Weekday Print EditionFT WeekendFT Digital EditionGlobal news & analysisExpert opinionSpecial featuresExclusive FT analysis More

  • in

    Consumer inflation fears spike in February as tariff worries hit sentiment

    The University of Michigan consumer survey showed that respondents expect inflation a year from now to be 4.3%, a 1 percentage point jump from January and the highest since November 2023.
    Worries over inflation dovetailed with lower optimism overall, as the headline index fell to 67.8, a one-month drop of 4.6% and an 11.8% move lower from the same month a year ago.

    People shop at a Whole Foods store on Feb. 3, 2025 in New York City.
    Michael M. Santiago | Getty Images

    Consumers grew dramatically more worried about near-term inflation as President Donald Trump pushed aggressive tariffs against major U.S. trading partners, a closely watched survey showed Friday.
    The University of Michigan consumer survey for February showed that respondents expect the inflation rate a year from now to be 4.3%, a 1 percentage point jump from January and the highest level since November 2023.

    Though Trump postponed tariffs against Canada and Mexico, the looming threat of price pass-throughs to consumers shook sentiment. China has levied retaliatory tariffs following Trump’s move. The survey window ran from Jan. 21, the day after Trump took office, to Feb. 3.
    “Many consumers appear worried that high inflation will return within the next year,” said Joanne Hsu, the survey’s director. “This is only the fifth time in 14 years we have seen such a large one-month rise (one percentage point or more) in year-ahead inflation expectations.”
    Longer-run expectations weren’t hit as much, with the five-year outlook drifting up to 3.3%, a 0.1 percentage point gain.
    Worries over inflation dovetailed with lower optimism overall, as the headline index fell to 67.8, a one-month drop of 4.6% and an 11.8% move lower from the same month a year ago. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a reading of 71.3.
    The survey sometimes is influenced by shifting political winds. However, Hsu noted that declining sentiment was “pervasive, with Republicans, Independents, and Democrats all posting sentiment declines from January, along with consumers across age and wealth groups.”

    Stocks turned lower after the report, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average initially off nearly 300 points.
    “Higher prices from tariffs are the number one financial concern for Americans, as the weight of inflation is still oppressive to family budgets, especially among those with lower incomes,” said Robert Frick, corporate economist at Navy Credit Union. “Even slight increases in prices, especially in top pain points such as food, shelter, and transportation, would be acutely felt by millions.”
    Hsu said overall declines in the various survey indexes reflect “a perception that it may be too late to avoid the negative impact of tariff policy.”
    The current conditions index also slumped, down to 68.7, or 7.2% lower than January and down 13.5% from a year ago. Expectations declined to 67.3, for a respective drop of 2.9% and 10.5%.

    Don’t miss these insights from CNBC PRO More

  • in

    EU to offer lower tariffs on US cars

    $99 for your first yearFT newspaper delivered Monday-Saturday, plus FT Digital Edition delivered to your device Monday-Saturday.What’s included Weekday Print EditionFT WeekendFT Digital EditionGlobal news & analysisExpert opinionSpecial featuresExclusive FT analysis More

  • in

    Unemployment spiked for Black men in January as more joined the labor force

    The unemployment rate for Black men spiked in January, but so did the percentage of eligible adults looking for jobs.
    Asian Americans were the only other cohort to see a rise in jobless rates last month.
    However, economist Elise Gould cautioned that a change in survey tools at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics makes it difficult to compare January’s data with previous months.

    Jobseekers talk to recruiters during the New York Public Library’s annual Bronx Job Fair & Expo at the Bronx Library Center in the Bronx borough of New York, US, on Friday, Sept. 6, 2024.
    Yuki Iwamura | Bloomberg | Getty Images

    Unemployment among Black men surged in January as the number of those looking for work increased, according to data released Friday by the Department of Labor.
    In January, Black workers saw their jobless rate edge higher to 6.2% from 6.1% in the month prior. This trend bucked the overall unemployment rate for the country, which ticked down to 4.0% in January from 4.1% in December. Asian Americans were the only other demographic to see a rise in jobless rates to 3.7% from 3.5%.

    On the other hand, unemployment for white and Hispanic workers followed the overall trend and fell in January from the prior month. For the former, it decreased to 3.5% from 3.6%. For the latter, it fell to 4.8% from 5.1%.
    But Black men experienced the biggest month-to-month spike in unemployment, with their jobless rates surging to 6.9% from 5.6%. On the other hand, the unemployment rate held steady at 5.4% for Black women.

    While Hispanic men also saw their jobless rate hold steady at 4.0%, unemployment rates for their female counterparts dropped to 4.5% from 5.3%. The unemployment rate also fell for white men to 3.1% from 3.3% and marginally decreased to 3.3% from 3.4% for white women. The data breakdown by sex was not readily available for Asian Americans.
    While the spike in unemployment rate for Black male workers certainly looks alarming on the surface, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics made some changes to their population controls and survey tools in January that makes it hard to compare the data to previous months, according to Elise Gould, senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute. Gould also potentially attributed the surge to standard data volatility.
    “I think you would need to see a few months of that elevation, and not just a blip in the data, to think that there was something sinister going on,” she told CNBC. Still, “obviously, just the simple fact that it’s so much higher than other groups is a systemic problem in and of itself.”

    Gould added that part of the rise in unemployment rate for Black men could be due to the fact that more of the cohort joined the job market in January.
    Last month, the labor force participation rate — the percentage of the population that is either employed or actively seeking work — ticked higher to 62.6% from 62.5%.

    Among black workers, the rate rose to 62.5% from 62.4%. The rate jumped to 69% from 68.2% for Black men, while slightly increasing to 62.5% from 62.4% for Black women.
    “When the unemployment rate rises, but there’s also an increase in participation, that can often mean that people are more optimistic or coming back in the labor market looking for jobs,” Gould added.
    Among white workers, the labor force participation rate rose to 62.3% from 62.2%. Within Asian workers, the participation increased to 64.7% from 64.3%, and slipped among Hispanic workers to 66.8% from 67.5%.
    – CNBC’s Gabriel Cortes contributed to this report. More